Thursday, April 9, 2009

Today marks the end...

of my college career. Student teaching. My time in the halls of a middle school that has been my home away from home. Most devastatingly, today marks the end of a little girl's life. A little girl who was much to wise to have only been 11. A little girl who radiated joy, and brightened this world every day she lived. Because that is what she did, she LIVED. She never made excuses, she never complained, she never passed blame, even though she had every right to.

I was blessed to have met this little girl during my Methods semester of my teacher training. The moment I saw her, I was different. Here was a precious soul, with so many hurdles to overcome, so many challenges, so much pain, and yet on her face was the purest smile I've ever seen. She was frail, and tiny, and wore a colorful hat to cover her hairless head, but the only thing I could see was her smile. It is selfish to wish I could have known her more personally, or for a longer time; however, although my time with her was brief, I am thankful for the blessing of even having met her. She is one of those children that touches your heart in a way that is indescribable. The more you hear about her, and the life she so fervently led, the more you want to know. She was brilliant, and beautiful inside and out, and she will be missed every day.



I am honored to have known such an amazing little girl. My prayer is that as I embark on my teaching career, I follow her example and truly LIVE each day to its fullest potential, and pass this passion for life on to my students.

To learn more about Erin, and what you can do to help other children like her, please visit her blog: erinbuenger.blogspot.com or www.nbhope.org


Until next time...


1 comment:

  1. Oh Lauren,

    I have cried... I mean, like, sobbed cried, over Erin since we found out on Thursday. She truly was such a joy- and I know this by only seeing her walk the halls.
    I love you so much!! Let's keep each child that affects us personally in the forefront of our minds every time we teach. They are constant reminders of the reason we chose this profession!! :)
    I will be talking to you soon mt sweet, darling friend!
    - Kel

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best shot...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...