Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Day

I did not have to go to work today, because of the life and influence of an amazing man named Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I was fortunate enough to have visited the museum built in his honor, and I haven't been the same person since. It was the visit to this place, that planted the seed in my heart that would later grow into my desire and my passion for teaching. This fire that burns inside of me makes up a lot of who I am as a person. So, today, as I enjoyed some time away from work, I took the advice I read from one of the many websites set up in his honor. For me, today was a day ON, not a day "off". Even though I wasn't physically with my students today, I sat down and took some time to pray for each one of them individually. I realize that they are incredibly young, and that they have years and years left on their "educational journey" but I also know it is never to early to pray for anything. This being said I asked that God would put teachers in each one of their paths and that each one would help, not hinder them as they develop into the men and women they are going to become. I prayed that they would have teachers that challenged them to become independent thinkers, but most importantly I prayed that as they progressed throughout their education that He would guide and direct them down the paths that would bring Him the most glory.

I spend countless hours with these children every week teaching them things they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. I also realize that they will probably never remember me, or give me credit for the things they learned while in my care. I've always been at peace with that because I know the things I'm teaching them are important, and that teaching isn't about receiving praise or recognition. A lot of times students leave your classroom and you never get to know who they become or if anything you said to them really made a difference. However, today, by following the example of an amazing man like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and taking just a little time to pray for each of them, I can rest assured that their lives will be impacted in a mighty way.

"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit me with your best shot...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...