Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Spoiler Alert: Sappy Big Sister on Board

You've been warned.


How.does.this.happen??? HOW? How did that sweet faced little kindergartener transform into a gorgeous 14 year old man-child? I just don't get it.
I was driving home yesterday, and started counting my blessings. This is something I do from time to time when I feel like my mind is starting to get bogged down with "junk". Try it. I guarantee you will feel like a new person as soon as you're finished. Something that was really pressing on my heart was how blessed I am to be a big sister; to not one, but TWO incredible brothers. Have you ever thought so hard about how much you love someone that it brought tears to your eyes? That's about where I was as I pulled into my driveway.

Ethan (Bubba) and I are fairly close in age, and grew up competing/fighting/adoring each other depending on what day of the week it was. It was a natural sibling relationship and one that I cherish more now than ever.

Then one day, ever so unexpectedly, there was Valente. He was the most adorably squishy 18 month old you've ever seen. Seriously. I melt just thinking about those cubby cheeks.The thing that really struck me yesterday was this: he has literally changed my life. He opened my heart in a way that I never could have imagined was possible. He softened my spirit. He single handily taught me that adoption is not a word with negative connotations. It's a miracle that happens when a family, missing a piece of themselves, and a child in need, come together and complete each other with an indescribable love. He taught me what it means to truly LOVE someone and not just because they are your sibling.

See, Valente's transition into our family wasn't immediate, and it definitely wasn't planned. The details are messy and complicated so I'll just say that a stork dropped him off. What followed his arrival was several months/years of uncertainty…with this precious child floating in the air searching for a place to land; and when he finally did, it was one of the happiest days of my life. I thank God EVERY SINGLE DAY he chose us. Because he did. Valente chose us.

I'm so proud to be his sister. Like president of his fan club proud. I'm equally proud of my parents for opening our home and filling it with the joy of a child who needed us as much as we unknowingly needed him. I love that my family immediately embraced him as one of their own. And not just the people that lived in my house. Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins…every single one of them opened their hearts and welcomed him in. It takes a village right? Well ours is fierce in affection and abundant in love.

Valente, if you ever read this, I want you to know that you made us whole. You completed our family with a big red bow and a cherry on top. You are loved by SO many people in a way that I'm not sure you will ever be able to fully comprehend. But please, please know that there is nothing in this world I wouldn't do for you. It's crazy how fast you are growing up. I know you get sick of hearing me say that, but it's true. If I close my eyes, I can still here your precious voice telling me how the Easter Bunny brought you Power Ranger nunderwear. I can still feel your tiny little hand pulling me outside to play spaketball with you. But here you are, turning into this incredible teenager, who will (sooner than I'd like) turn into a man. The older you get, the more insignificant our age difference becomes and as each day passes I cherish you even more. Thank you for giving me the honor of being your big sister, I promise I will never take that privilege for granted.

Always,

L

4 comments:

  1. Valente is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, God! You made me cry! Absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the sweetest! He's lucky to have you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya'll are too sweet. Thank you so so much! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best shot...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...